Recent Posts

Monday, March 28, 2011

some families are a bit dysfunctional...

So today let's take a dive into my dysfunctional family, shall we?



When I was 8 my mom's sister passed away. She left behind my 18 year old cousin Jen, my four year old cousin Megan, and my 2 year old cousin Sean. The death of my Auntie Bee devastated my entire family. It was one of the most awful times I can ever remember. The story gets worse...my aunt's husband was a lousy parent and a hardcore alcoholic. Basically even though everyone tried to help with the kids, it wasn't enough. They were raised by freaking wolves. Sean has had an especially tough time. He never knew his mom. He has not one single memory of his own about her. He started drinking, drugging, and being promiscuous and the ripe old age of 12. This has led to screaming matches, my cop brother almost having to arrest him, him running away, becoming an addict, and then being in and out of juvenile hall many, many, MANY, times. It was hard, to say the very least. After his last bought in the hall, Sean came out with a different attitude. He started attending Juvenile Drug Court and counseling (at the place where I work). His girlfriend Rachel has pretty much the same story, only difference is she is also in a foster home. One day at work I went out to see Sean, and he told me Rachel was pregnant. I could have killed him. Here we had two SEVENTEEN year old recovering addicts who were in the juvenile justice system, and now they are going to have a baby. I was pissed. I also wanted the kids to get a paternity test. Let's just say I was NOT supportive in any way shape or form. I was straight up mean to Rachel, I acted like she did not even exist. I honestly did not want to deal with the situation. Plus, she is a snotty 17 year old, and if she would have rolled her eyes at me one more time I would have probably strangled her. After a lot of work on myself I finally decided that it was best to just love Sean and welcome Rachel and their baby into the family. That is what they needed. They didn't need judgement, they didn't need anyone unsupportive, they needed love and acceptance. Might I also mention that ever since they found out a baby was on the way the have BOTH stayed clean and sober and out of trouble. I am very proud of them.






So after all the growth and change I saw happening for both of them I started trying to be more supportive. I started by taking them to get belly pictures taken before Baby Jayden arrived. Rachel really wanted to document her pregnant belly, but they couldn't afford to get pictures done. Even though it was last minute I booked an appointment at freaking WAL-MART (which was the only place available) , picked them up, and off we went for a photo shoot. A few hundred bucks later (yes. expensive) we had some beautiful pictures. Although, I hated they were from Wal-Mart, I have to admit they turned out better than I expected, even though I felt like I was on an episode of '16 & Pregnant'. I am going to share a few of them here...






{1.} Rachel and her big ol' belly.






{2.} This little idea was Sean's. He wanted to do the typical heart on the belly, but with each side of the heart being one of their hands. Rachel freaked because she didn't paint her nails. Oh, to be 17...



{3.} This picture is my absolute favorite out of all of them. It is beyond precious.




{4.} I wanted to smack him for leaving his hat on, but at least it matched her outfit...right?!




{5.} This is another of my favorites. They look so cute.On March 21st Baby Jayden was born. After 20-something hours of labor, Sean and Rachel welcomed their handsome baby boy to the world. A post of pictures of the handsome little man will be coming soon! I would really appreciate some prayers/love/positivity (whatever you believe in) sent to this new family. The three of them will need all the help they can get.




xoxo

8 comments:

Lauren said...

They are so lucky to have you Alex! I bet they have very few, if any others, that are supportive of them right now.

I can't imagine having a baby at 17, I actually still can't imagine having a baby right now! My thoughts and prayers are definitely with them and your family.

Looove you!

Elysie Piecie said...

I'm sending tons of happy thoughts and prayers their way. I'm so glad that they have you as a support system...not many people are lucky enough to have somebody as amazing as you to help them out.

I wish them nothing but the best. And ps...great photos. The heart idea was so sweet.

Unknown said...

You are amazing. Seriously. Way to take a tough situation and make it into something great. I hope they know how lucky they are! And I sure hope the best for little Jayden.

KatOfDiamonds said...

Whew.
It was an emotional roller coaster just reading this!
*sends hugs*

ConnieB said...

Oh I wish them all the best! Parenting is challenging so they definitely will need support! It made me sad to read what they've had to deal w but I'm so happy they are cleaning up and turning things around. What a sweet gift from you!

Positive Petersons said...

sending love and prayers to them! so lucky to have you and these BEAUTIFUL pictures. they will make a beautiful baby!

Jayde said...

They are very lucky to have you and such supportive family. Addiction is rife in my family (on both sides - joy) and I have witnessed firsthand the horrible things it can do to a family. I am so glad that they are doing well. I hope for both themselves and little Jayden that they can stay straight and clean and live a long, happy life.

xo Jayde

Kiley said...

They are so very lucky to have you in their lives! Sending many, many thoughts and prayers to them and your family.

beautiful pictures, too.